Guilty Verdicts

If you are found guilty, you may make an oral or written motion to the Court for a new trial. Motions must be made within one day after the judgment has been rendered against you. The Judge may grant a new trial if the Judge is persuaded that justice has not been done in your case. Only one new trial may be granted for each offense.

You have the right to appeal your case if you are not satisfied with the judgment of the Court. An appeal bond must be filed with the Municipal Court within ten days of the judgment, if you appeared in open court.

If you plead guilty or nolo contendere (no contest) thus waiving your right to a jury trial and request the amount of the fine and appeal bond in writing, prior to your initial court appearance date, you have up to 31 days from the time you received the Court notice to pay the fine or file an appeal bond with the Municipal Court.

More Information
For more information, contact the Municipal Court at (972) 317-3660.