Carbon Monoxide Detector

What is Carbon Monoxide?


Carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete combustion of the fossil fuels (gas, oil, coal, and wood) used in boilers, engines, oil burners, gas fires, water heaters, solid fuel appliances, and open fires.

Dangerous amounts of carbon monoxide can accumulate when as a result of poor installation, poor maintenance or failure or damage to an appliance in service, the fuel is not burned properly, or when rooms are poorly ventilated and the carbon monoxide is unable to escape.

Having no smell, taste, or color, in today's world of improved insulation and double glazing it has become increasingly important to have good ventilation, maintain all appliances regularly, and have a reliable detector alarm(s) installed.  Alarms should give both a visual and audible alarm immediately if there is a build up of carbon monoxide to dangerous levels.
Carbon Monoxide Be Alarmed

Where Do I Install My Carbon Monoxide Detector?


Unlike smoke, carbon monoxide sinks to the floor. Therefore, detectors should be installed at the lowest possible portion of the house. Many carbon monoxide detectors are being manufactured to plug into wall outlets to help ease installation and placement.

More Information


For more information, email or call the Administrative Offices of the Fire Department at (972) 317-0890.
Carbon-Monoxide-Detector-JB-C02-.jpg