Protecting You & Your Home
Highland Village Fire-Rescue assists the Highland Village Police Department with the task of coordinating the City's emergency management efforts. This includes:
- Conducting disaster exercise drills
- Conducting outdoor warning siren tests
- Maintaining and operating the City Emergency Operations Center
- Maintaining and updating the City emergency management plan
- Training all city field personnel
Tips for Protecting You & Your Family
Highland Village uses the Nixle notification service to send residents and businesses important information about our community, such as severe weather alerts, road closures, utility problems, or even notification of a community wide event. With the Nixle service, we can reach you by phone (text or voice) or e-mail within minutes. Participation is 100% free and completely voluntary. To receive severe weather and emergency alerts, sign up for Nixle E-Watch. To receive notifications from the City on road closures, utility problems, etc., sign up for neighborhood specific alerts.
- Remain indoors during severe weather.
- Stay tuned to local television stations for up-to-date information.
- If you are outdoors, listen for the City's outdoor warning sirens.
- If you see a tornado or hear that one is approaching, seek shelter immediately.
- If you are indoors:
- Go to a room at the center of the building/house.
- Stay away from windows (breaking glass can cut you).
- Do not open the windows to your building / house. It is a myth that tornadoes increase the pressure inside your house. A tornado usually destroys a building / house by tearing off the roof when the wind catches the lip of the roof.
- If you have time, cover yourself with cushions, pillows or a mattress
- If you are outside:
- Try to get indoors as quickly as possible.
- If you cannot get indoors, find a flat area, away from trees and poles, and lie flat on the ground and cover your head.
- Do not lay in a ditch because fast, rising water could trap you.
For more tips about preparing for emergencies, visit the following websites: