Most positions are eligible for additional pay for certifications that are above and beyond the requirements of the position. Pay depends on the certifications and typically do not exceed $100 per month.
Supplemental retirement savings plans are available via payroll deduction and are tax deferred. After six months of employment, the City will match up to 2% of your annual salary in contributions.
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
The Employee Assistance Program offers information and resources that can help you identify and resolve problems affecting emotional and physical health and other personal matters, including financial and legal assistance. This free hotline is staffed by a team of Masters-level counselors and nurses who can assist with a wide range of problems.
Flexible Spending/Dependent Care
Employees have the option to utilize City sponsored flexible spending accounts permitted under the IRS code to pay for various medical, dental, vision, or dependent care costs on a pre-tax basis.
We provide group health coverage through BlueCross BlueShield (BCBS). Employees can choose from two available plans: a traditional PPO Plan or a High Deductible Plan with a Health Savings Account (HSA) attached. The City pays 80% - 100% of the insurance premium for employee only or employee plus family coverage. Funds in a Health Savings Account roll over from year to year, and can be used during retirement to pay for medical related expenses and some premiums (IRS Publication 969). Options for dependent coverage are available.
Holidays and Leave
Full time employees are provided 11 paid holidays, plus your birthday and two personal days. Holidays included are New Year's, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday, Good Friday (Friday before Easter), Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day.
Full time employees are provided with $50,000 Life Insurance and $50,000 Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance. Additional Life Insurance can be purchased by the employee through payroll deduction.
Long Term Disability Insurance
Full time employees are provided with Long Term Disability Insurance, which provides income of 60% of the employees salary up to age 65 if disabled, and after a 180 day (six month) waiting period. See Human Resources for more information.
Once a year, full time employees who are employed with the City for two or more years will receive longevity pay for every month of full time service. Longevity pay is calculated as follows:
- Two - four years at $4/month
- Five - nine years at $6/month
- Ten or more years at $7.50/month
Eligible employees are members of the Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS). Retirement contributions are deducted at 7% from employee pay checks per pay period. Employees are vested after five years of service credit, with a two-to-one City match upon retirement. There is an additional Term Life Insurance benefit provided through TMRS equal to 1x your annual salary as an active employee. The City does NOT pay into the Federal Social Security System.
Retirement Health Savings (RHS)
This benefit is offered to full time City employees who have served 10 years or more in the Public Sector. The RHS account will enable you to have some tax-free savings dedicated to paying for future healthcare and insurance costs when you separate from service. Depending on the years of service you have, the City will put $500 - $1,500 into this account per year. The employees contributions is their sick and vacation at separation. This allows the employee to potentially retire early and still be able to pay for insurance coverage or medical bills.
Telemedicine - HealthiestYou by Teladoc
Employees and their family are eligible for unlimited free telemedicine. Services included are:
- General Medical - 24/7/365 access to our doctors via phone or video. The doctors can diagnose and offer treatment, including prescriptions if medically necessary.
- Mental Health “myStrength Complete”- myStrength is a flexible and comprehensive digital program with proven tools and dedicated support for stress, depression, sleep and more—all tailored to your unique needs. Unlimited scheduled phone/video sessions with a mental health provider: therapist, counselor psychiatrist etc. Recommended activities and content. Explore skill building tools and resources based on your ongoing needs and preferences.
- Dermatology - Take 3 pictures of a skin condition and receive a diagnosis and treatment plan through the app’s message center within 48 hours.
- Neck and Back Care - With the help of a certified health coach, a member will be given a personalized video-based exercise and stretching regimen to help alleviate both back and neck pain.
- Expert Medical Services - Receive an expert second opinion on a major diagnosis and get all your medical records in one place.
- Nutrition - Members work directly with registered dietitians who assess their clinical nutrition needs and develop personalized programs including custom meal plans and shopping guides.
Full time employees who complete six months of service with the City may be reimbursed up to $1,000 per calendar year for approved college courses. Prior approvals from Supervisors and Department Heads are required to receive reimbursement.
Full time employees who participate in the City of Highland Village Wellness Program qualify for a $25/month discount on health insurance premiums, which equals $300 in annual savings.
The City reserves the right to add, delete, or modify these benefits at any time, with or without notice. Benefits are currently in effect for full time status employees only.