The Highland Village City Council is composed of a Mayor and six Council members. The Mayor and Council are elected at-large and represent the entire community. The next scheduled General Election for the City of Highland Village will be held on Saturday, May 1, 2021 for the purpose of electing members of City Council to Places 3, 5 and 7 to serve two year terms.
Early Voting - During Early Voting registered voters can vote at any Denton County polling site, including the Highland Village Municipal Complex (in the Police Training Room) located at 1000 Highland Village Road. Dates and times are as follows:
|Monday - Saturday||April 19 - 24, 2021||8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.|
|Sunday||April 25, 2021||11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.|
|Monday - Tuesday||April 26 - 27, 2021||7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.|
Election Day - On Saturday, May 1, 2021 registered voters must vote at their assigned polling site. Highland Village residents, which include Precincts 3002, 3003, 3004 and 3005, will vote at the Highland Village Municipal Complex (in the Police Training Room) during the hours of 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m.
For further information, including additional Early Voting locations and sample ballot lookup, please visit the Denton County Elections website or call their office at (940) 349-3200.
Highland Village General Election Notifications
Notice of Deadline to File Applications for Place on the Ballot
Notice of Drawing for Place on the Ballot - RESCHEDULED
Notice of Rescheduled Drawing for Place on the Ballot
Resolution Ordering May 1, 2021 General Election
Resolution Amending Order to Add Sunday Early Voting Date
Notice of May 1, 2021 General Election
Acceptable Forms of ID for Voting in Person
Filing Period for Candidates
The City Secretary’s Office will accept applications from qualified persons interested in running for any of the above referenced places during the filing period designated by state law, as shown below. During the filing period, the City Secretary’s Office will receive applications at the Highland Village Municipal Complex, located at 1000 Highland Village Road, during regular business hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding City holidays.
|Filing Period for the May 1, 2021 General Election - Places 3, 5 and 7|
|First Day to File for Place on the Ballot:|
(108th day before Election)
|January 13, 2021|
|Last Day to File for Place on the Ballot:|
(78th day before Election)
|February 12, 2021|
If you are interested in running for office, you will find additional information and the required forms on the Candidate Information link on the City’s website or by contacting the City Secretary’s Office at (972) 899-5132.
To be eligible to be a candidate, a person shall:
1. be a United States citizen;
2. be 18 years of age or older;
3. be a qualified and effectively registered voter of the City;
4. have not been determined by a final judgement of a court to be mentally incapacitated;
5. have not been convicted of a felony from which the candidate has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities;
6. have resided within the corporate limits of the City for the twelve consecutive months prior to the date of election;
7. not file for more than one office or position number per election; and
8. satisfy any other eligibility requirements prescribed by law or be disqualified by reason of any provision of any other section of the City Charter.