History of the Highland Village Fire Department
In 1971, the City Council passed an ordinance creating the Highland Village Fire Department and shortly after, Highland Village purchased a 1948 Ahrens-Fox 750-gallon pumper and 1,500 feet of used hose from the City of Dallas, Texas. In 1976, a 1952 Dodge Power Wagon was purchased for use as a grass fire vehicle. In 1977, the Department’s first new engine, a Ford F-150 chassis with a Ward La France 750-GPM pumper, was placed in service as well as twenty-three voice command radios. A year later, a used television repair van was purchased and retrofitted as the City’s first EMS vehicle, but the Lewisville Fire Department continued to provide the primary ambulance service at that time. The next year an additional truck was purchased for fighting brush fires.
In 1982, the Highland Village Fireman's Association purchased a new modular ambulance with Association funds and monies obtained through fund raising events. The City’s ambulance services started on January 1st of 1983. In 1984, for an annual payment of $25, residents could obtain an ambulance subscription for emergency transport. The Fire Department was part of the major response to the Delta Flight 191 crash at DFW airport where 136 of 152 people were killed. In 1986, a new engine and a second ambulance were added. A Cascade mobile air truck was stripped, refurbished, and fitted with compressed air tanks so that firefighters could fill their SCBA's (Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus) on the scene of emergency incidents. It was the only vehicle of its type in Denton County.
A new station was built in 1994 with room for all equipment in the bays and CPR and First Aid classes were offered to the citizens of Highland Village for the first time. In 1997 a new KME fire engine replaced the engine purchased in 1977 and the Highland Village Fire Department hired its first part-time firefighter/paramedic to provide Advanced Life Support (ALS) services to the City. More part-time firefighter/paramedics were hired the following year.
The Department joined the Baylor Grapevine Medical Control System which dictated the protocols used in emergency medical situations. The Department was able to schedule a firefighter/paramedic on shift 24 hours a day/seven days a week for the first time and Highland Village Fire-Rescue also hired the first of three new full-time firefighter/paramedics. In 2002, a Frazer ambulance was put into service, replacing the ‘old’ Medic 481. A new air truck replaced the "old" Air 481 unit that had served since 1988. Additionally, the Department graduated its first class of State Firemen's and Fire Marshal’s Association recruits. In 2006, the Department was able to improve its Public Protection Classification (PPC) from a 5 to a 2. The Department purchased an ATV through a donation from the Co-Serv Charitable Foundation to service the City’s many trails and be utilized at special events. It also placed into service a 1500 GPM Pierce fire engine with CAFS (Compressed Air Foam System) in 2007. A new fire station was built in 2008 and in May of that year, the City’s Insurance Service Offices (ISO) rating improved from a 5 to a 2. A Mobile Intensive Care Unit ambulance was placed in service in 2009 and three additional employees were funded by a SAFER Grant.
The Department received the Heart Safe Community recognition by the International Fire Chiefs Association in 2014 and a 2015 Pierce pumper was placed in service. The Department also became the home of a TIFMAS wildland brush truck which is available to all area communities for wildfire assistance. Council approved three additional firefighter/paramedics to bring the total to six per shift for relief purposes.